Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman, have you ever heard this name ? Maybe not or only few of us as we use to call him with other name. It is the name of our very own tailor-made test batsman VVS Laxman who Nick named as Very Very Special by his fans for his special innings in crucial situations.
This special player is celebrating his 42nd birthday today on the Occasion of Laxman’s birthday, we would like to let you know about few interesting facts and quotes on him by former greats of the game. Have a look –
– His birth took place in Hyderabad, telangana in 1974 and was born to Dr. Shantaram and Dr. Satyabhama who are noted Physicians of Vijayawada and Guntur.
– He completed his schooling at Little Flower high School, Hyderabad and later choose cricket as his career rather than medicine.
– He was honoured with honorary doctorate degree by Teri University, New Delhi in February, 2015.
– He is a relative of great Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan who served as president of India.
– Laxman made his U-19 debut for India in 1994 against Australia and scored 88 on his debut against the likes of Brett Lee and Gillespie who are also debutants.
– Australia tour of India in 2001 changed the Laxman career dramatically where he scored a career best of 281 and helped India to vicyory. This knock has changed everything for Laxman and Indian cricket.
– APJ Abdul Kalam, the former great and the most loved person in India followed only 36 members on twitter and Laxman is the only cricketer in it.
Awards and Achievements –
– He was awarded with Wisden cricketer of the year in 2002.
– He was honoured with Padma Shri in 2011 for his efforts in cricket.
– Honoured with Arjuna award for his mind boggling innings of 281 against Australia in 2001.
– He is the only Indian to score 1000 runs at a single Venue(Eden Gardens) with an average more than 100. He has an average of 110.7 at this venue.
– His knock of 281 is named as greatest test performance for last 50 years.
Quotes on VVS by the legends of game –
– “When i walk out to play in Hyderabad I will feel a deep void. A void that can never be filled. My dear friend, VVS Laxman” —- Sachin Tendulkar
– “If you get Dravid, great. If you get Sachin, brilliant. If you get Laxman, it’s a miracle” —– Steve Waugh and the same quote repeated by Brett Lee.
– “That was the brightest day in Laxman’s career. That innings had a big impact on Indian cricket. It had given us a huge sense of relief and made us have belief in ourselves that we’re not behind… Since then, we never looked back as Indian cricket kept improving” —– Sourav Ganguly
– “VVS is one of the finest human beings to have played cricket. One of the main pillars of the team and a true friend. Words are not enough”—— Virender Sehwag
– Watch him, but don’t try to imitate. Only VVS Laxman can play them”—- John Wright.
– “On his day he could beat even 22 fielders and find the boundary”—–Zaheer Khan.
– “Laxman could potentially play shots on either side of the wicket to any given ball” —– Muttiah Muralitharan.
– “If Sachin is called the god of cricket, then you, VVS, are the angel we all strive to” — Murali Kartik