After ending day 1 in the 70s, not one person would have imagined in the wildest of their dreams that this would happen. But that is what cricket is all about, expect the unexpected and take a bow Karun Nair! How brilliant an innings this has been from the Karnataka batsman.
He came out to bat when India was in quite a precarious situation, as they had just lost two of their inform senior batsmen Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara in a space of 60 minutes. He joined his fellow Karnataka batsman KL Rahul, who just got to a hundred.
Both the youngsters stitched a fantastic partnership and as the day came close to an end, KL Rahul got dismissed on 199, leaving millions of fans in disbelief, who were waiting for him to get to 200.
Karun Nair resumed day 4 on 71 alongside senior compatriot Murali Vijay, who unfortunately didn’t last long. But he and Ravichandran Ashwin stitched a mammoth 151 run stand for the 6th wicket, ensuring India went well past England’s first innings score(477).
After a cautious first session, he started playing a little aggressively, sweeping and reverse sweeping the ball with utmost perfection, much to the delight of a true cricket lover. When the 3rd session started, his score was 195 and after getting to that double hundred, he went berserk and India started scoring at 7 an over.
He alongside Ravindra Jadeja tonked the English bowlers to all parts, no matter how many people were guarding the boundary. Just as everyone started to think Virat is moments away from declaring, runs started to galore for Karun and in a matter of moments, he was few runs away from a triple.
Things were a bit frustrating whilst he was batting in the 290s, but when he finally got to 300, Chepauk erupted out of joy and India declared their innings that very moment. There were plenty of records which were made and broken on this momentous occasion and lets take a look at few of them.
1) Karun Nair became only the second Indian batsman to register a triple-hundred after Virender Sehwag.
2) India made 759 runs for the loss of 7 wickets courtesy two splendid knocks from KL Rahul and Karun Nair. This is India’s highest ever Test score. Previously, India had scored 726/9 against Sri Lanka in 2009 in Mumbai, where Virender Sehwag scored 293 runs.
3) Karun Nair is the first ever Malyalee to score a hundred in Test cricket.
4) Karun Nair joined a special group when he reached the 250 mark. He became only the fourth player to score 250+ after Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid.
5) Karun Nair also joined an elite list of players. After the legends Sir Garfield Sobers and Bob Simpson, he became the third batsman ever to convert his maiden hundred into a triple hundred.
6) Karun Nair’s 303 is the highest score for an Indian batsman against England. He broke Virat Kohli’s record of 235, which he registered just few days ago in Wankhede.
7) Karun Nair is the 6th youngest player to score a triple ton. Some incredible names like Sir Gary Sobers, Sir Don Bradman, Sir Leonard Hutton, Hanif Mohammad and Brian Lara comprise the top 5 in this list.
8) Of all the Indian cricketers, Vinod Kambli held the record for the highest score after registering a maiden ton. He scored 224 runs against England and that was the first time he reached three digits. Now, Karun Nair’s 303 tops the chart.
9) This is the third highest individual score by an Indian cricketer in Tests. Virender Sehwag’s knocks against Pakistan(309) and South Africa(319) are the top 2.
10) The Chepauk Stadium in Chennai becomes the first Indian stadium to witness 2 triple hundreds. Prior to Karun Nair’s triple, Virender Sehwag scored 319 at the same venue in 2008.